Jump Start Your Summer Savings

New to grocery smarts? The best way to jump start your savings is by hosting a FREE class! In your free class you'll learn how to use the free grocery smarts website, tips on how to save big at the store by combining coupons and sales, and if you need coupons I can help set you up with a sweet deal for the Sunday only paper! Contact me to book your class.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

So I bought a whole fresh chicken for $.59 per lb. now what?

For the past couple weeks between Smith's and Albertsons have had whole fresh chickens on sale for $.59 per lb which is ***** deal. But what can you do with them? I am all about quick, easy and cheap. I also have a picky eater so I have to be careful about what I make for dinner. My family loves when I buy whole fresh chickens and cook them using the McCormick Chicken in a bag seasoning (see picture). This takes 5 minutes prep and since I am paranoid about my chicken being cooked thoroughly I cook it for about an hour and a half.

PREP:
  • Pre-heat oven to 350
  • Wash chicken thoroughly in running water
  • Make sure you take the gizzards out (liver, heart, kidney etc.) they leave them inside the main cavity of the chicken
  • Take out the bag and lay it in the bottom of the pan your are going to cook the chicken in
  • Open seasoning part of the packet and rub the seasoning all over chicken
  • Put chicken inside the bag and tie off using the black tie in the packet
  • Poke 4 holes in the top to allow venting
  • Place in the middle of the oven
COOK:
  • Cook at 350 until done (I buy around 4 to 4 1/2 lb chickens and cook them for just under 1 and a half hours)
Open bag and serve. The sauce in the bag can be used as gravy. My girls love drum sticks so that's what they eat and there are no complaints. My picky eater even asks for seconds! If you have left overs it makes great chicken for chicken enchiladas too! Check back periodically for more ideas for recipes using things we stock up.

No comments: