Jump Start Your Summer Savings

New to grocery smarts? The best way to jump start your savings is by hosting a FREE class! In your free class you'll learn how to use the free grocery smarts website, tips on how to save big at the store by combining coupons and sales, and if you need coupons I can help set you up with a sweet deal for the Sunday only paper! Contact me to book your class.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Dinner from the case lot sale: Part I

When you buy anything in bulk your challenge becomes to use it all before it expires. I wasn't overly impressed with Smith's case lot sale last week but it did allow me to stock up on some things that we have been running low on or we were completely out of. (beans mainly) We have a couple favorite family recipes that use a lot of beans. I decided that I am going to do 3 eating from the case lot recipes. Here's part 1a that we had for dinner last night its simple, easy and is one my Dad passed on to his kids:

Cowboy Stew

2- 8oz cans chili beans
1-8oz can tomato sauce
1-8oz can stewed or diced tomatoes
4 tbsp- granulated sugar
1 lb-ground beef or turkey


Cook your meat in a large frying pan until done. In a large pot combine all canned ingredients, sugar and meat. Bring to a low boil for 15-20 min.

each canned item came to about $.50 a can and my meat was I believe .99 a lb so for this entire stew that feeds 6 I paid $3

Part 1b was our side dish, cake corn bread. It is very simple, that is a MUST for me, and SO yummy. My hubby's family taught me how to make this. It is made from the case lot sale too:

Cake Corn Bread


1 box cake mix (yellow, white, french vanilla, whatever you have on hand)
2 boxes jiffy corn muffin mix
5 eggs
1 1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup oil


Preheat oven to 315. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Grease either a large 9x13 pan or two smaller 8x9 pans. Poor batter into the pan(s). Cook 40 minutes or until knife can be cleanly removed from the center.

I half this recipe for my family and we still have tons of left overs. I save the second half of the cake mix in its original box and to get 2 1/2 eggs I separate one egg, use the white and toss the yolk. Counting the eggs cake and corn bread: to make this recipe how it reads using the case lot sale prices from last week and eggs at $.99 a dozen, costs $2.05. I only made half so it cost me just barely over $1.

Part 1c: "If you give a mom some cake corn bread she is going to want some honey butter to go with it."A couple years back I participated in a recipe exchange group and was passed a recipe by my friend Jenny D. for delicious honey butter. I was shocked when I found out how to make it are you ready? (Don't worry its simple too or I wouldn't make it!)

Honey Butter


2 cubes (1 cup) butter or margarine
1 can jet puff marshmallow cream

Beat together until smooth. Store in a reusable container with a lid.

The jet puff is on sale this week at Albertsons for $1 (or $.60 if you factor in the meat promo with it) and Land O Lakes butter was on sale two weeks ago for about $.49 a package making the honey butter cost between $1.25 and $.85. This stays good for a long time in your fridge as long as you store it in a container with a good lid.


Tonight I am going to be making a recipe using grands biscuits (on sale this week at Albertsons, click here to go make a list) and the pork and beans I got at the case lot sale. Come back tomorrow to see that recipe.

No comments: