Jump Start Your Summer Savings

New to grocery smarts? The best way to jump start your savings is by hosting a FREE class! In your free class you'll learn how to use the free grocery smarts website, tips on how to save big at the store by combining coupons and sales, and if you need coupons I can help set you up with a sweet deal for the Sunday only paper! Contact me to book your class.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Presents on a Budget


One thing that was very frustrating to me during my first couple years of marriage was not having enough money to buy presents for people (and not having money period!). My husband and I were both finishing up our degrees and while we were blessed with jobs money was still almost non-existent. Now school is behind us and money is not as tight as it was then but it can still be overwhelming when so many people I know and care about are getting married, having babies, birthdays, holidays etc. I love being able to give and truly believe that with a little creativity, thought and shopping ahead you can give AWESOME presents on a very small budget. I have already done a few post on "presents on a budget" but with the holidays here I'd like to throw in a couple more ideas.

Today's budget friendly present idea is a new take on the gift basket. Here's what I mean:

This is actually a present I put together for one of my sister-in-laws. Her and her husband just purchased their first home. So exciting for them! I am also slightly embarrassed to add that when they got married in February we forgot to give them a present so we are using this "gift basket" as a home warming/wedding present. I bought the laundry basket for $2.50 at Wal-Mart and then filled it with household supplies that we all use regularly that I have bought using grocery smarts and smart shopping. All together I think including the basket this gift cost under $15 and if bought at normal retail price would come in at over $50! Can't tell what's inside here's a list:

  • Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner
  • Tide Liquid Laundry Detergent
  • Glade Lasting Impressions Air Freshener
  • Electrasol Dishwashing Tabs
  • Bath and Body Works Hand Soap
  • Liquid Dishwashing soap
  • Oust Air and Surface Sanitizer
  • Glade Air Freshener Spray
  • Mr. Clean Multi-Purpose Cleaner
  • Playtex Gloves (Disposable and Permanent)
  • Kleenex 110 ct. Box

I will do a few more posts over the next week on more budget friendly presents so come back for more : )

No comments: